I am a Post-doctoral Fellow working in Dr Vishy Iyer's lab. The broad aim of my project is to dissect gene regulatory networks involved in carcinogenesis. I am currently working on three main projects:
- Identify downstream chromosomal targets of transcription factors using ChIP-sequencing technology.
- Identify transcription factors bound to specific promoters in vivo.
- Identify downstream mRNA targets of microRNAs involved in cell proliferation.
Awards and Scholarships
- Lilly Singapore Centre for Drug Discovery Scholarship to attend the "Omics meets cell Biology" conference, Keystone Symposium, 2009
- Patricia L. Johnston Endowed Fellowship in Biological Sciences from the Molecular Genetics and Microbiology department, University of Texas at Austin, 2008
- David Bruton, Jr. Graduate School Fellowship, University of Texas at Austin, 2007
- A.P. Bradie Endowed Fellowship Award from the Molecular Genetics and Microbiology department, University of Texas at Austin, 2006
- Full scholarship including a teaching assistantship from the Institute of Cellular and Molecular biology, UT-Austin, 2003
- Junior Research Fellowship awarded by the Birla Smarak Kosh Foundation, Bombay Hospital, Mumbai, India, 2000
- Poster presentation: "A cMyc activated microrna supresses the interferon response enabling cell proliferation and survival", Omics Meets Cell Biology conference, Keystone Symposium, Brackenridge, 2009
- Poster presentation: "Mapping chromosomal targets of transcription factors by Sequence Tag Analysis of Genomic Enrichment (STAGE)", ENCODE (Encyclopedia of DNA Elements) consortium, Bethesda, 2006
- Oral presentation: "STAGE", ENCODE (Encyclopedia of DNA Elements) consortium, UC Santa Cruz, 2005
- Dynamic Remodeling of Individual Nucleosomes Across a Eukaryotic Genome in Response to Transcriptional Perturbation.
- *Sushma Shivaswamy, *Akshay Bhinge, Yongjun Zhao, Steven Jones, Martin Hirst and Vishwanath R. Iyer
- Plos Biology 2008 Mar 18;6(3):e65
* authors contributed equally to the work
- Identification and analysis of functional elements in 1% of the human genome by the ENCODE pilot project.
- The ENCODE Project Consortium
- Nature 2007 June; 447:799-816
- Mapping the chromosomal targets of STAT1 by sequence tag analysis of genomic enrichment (STAGE).
- Akshay A. Bhinge, Jonghwan Kim, Ghia Euskirchen, Michael Snyder and Vishwanath Iyer
- Genome Research 2007 17:910-916
- Mapping DNA-protein interactions in large genomes by sequence tag analysis of genomic enrichment.
- Jonghwan Kim, Akshay A Bhinge, Xochitl C Morgan, Vishwanath R Iyer
- Nature Methods 2005 Jan; 2, 47-53
- Accurate detection of protein:ligand binding sites using molecular dynamics simulations.
- Bhinge A, Chakrabarti P, Uthanumallian K, Bajaj K, Chakraborty K, Varadarajan R.
- Structure (Camb) 2004 Nov;12(11):1989-99
- Role of L-lysine HCl in adoptive immune therapy towards development of suitable tuberculosis vaccination.
- Dasgupta S, Chandran V, Bhinge A, Sewlikar S, Nimbkar A, Datta D.
- Indian J Exp Biol 2004 Aug;42(8):758-65
- Role of L-lysine HCl in immunopotentiation towards development of suitable tuberculosis vaccination.
- Dasgupta S, Bhinge A, Chandran V, Sewlikar S, Nimbkar A, Datta D.
- Vaccine 2003 Dec 1;21(32):4722-7
- A Procedure for Detection and Quantitation of Cavity Volumes in Proteins. APPLICATION TO MEASURE THE STRENGTH OF THE HYDROPHOBIC DRIVING FORCE IN PROTEIN FOLDING.
- Suvobrata Chakravarty, Akshay Bhinge, and Raghavan Varadarajan
- J. Biol. Chem. 2002 277:31345-31353
- Lysine: Is it worth more. (Review)
- D.Datta, A.Bhinge, V.Chandran.
- Cytotechnology 2001 36(1):3-32
- Effect of Cationic amino acid, L-Lysine on the growth and secretion of hybridoma cell line OKT3.
- D.Datta, P.K.Kundu, S.Biswas, S.Dasgupta, A.Bhinge and V.Chandran.
- Hybridoma 2000 19(4):339-346.